Saturday, July 31, 2021

Writing Prompt

Thank you, Len Edgerly, for the writing prompt.

Although I spend my days working with words, my usual role is editing. Or writing stories of technology companies or short technical descriptions of products.

My writing as introspection and making sense of this life has languished. I feel the void. There's so much in this world to contemplate, which I do best through translating my thoughts into words on a screen. While my ego preens for the satisfaction of being read by others, the deeper gratification comes from rereading my own words and seeing if the ideas make sense.

Earlier today, I spent a fulfilling hour talking with Len Edgerly, a simpatico friend I met years ago at a podcast event in Boston. Via Zoom, we shared a few of the themes and questions in our lives, teasing out some of the deeper meanings:

  • What is it about meditation that causes the mind to settle?
  • Will acting quickly on intuition, rather than a thoughtful, deliberative tradeoff of pros and cons lead to a good decision?
  • Not knowing what will happen, can we be comfortable in the uncertainty and wait quietly for discernment to provide an answer?
  • In a world so troubled, how can we make a positive difference without becoming overwhelmed?

As we talked, Len asked whether I had written a blog post lately, perhaps wondering if he had missed one. It was a nonjudgmental question, a timely question — just the writing prompt I needed.

Len has started a new writing project, recounting how he and his wife adopted a puppy to fill the void from the death of their Yorkie. He's devoting 30 minutes each morning to crafting the story, while learning the nuances of a new writing platform. Just 30 minutes. But every day.

His example of persistent and modest effort tempers my impulse to make sense of the world's ills in one massive missive. What's more practical for a busy life is persistent attention and effort. And so, I send this out, a reflection of this moment.

Thank you, Len.


Initially published on July 31, 2021 on my HEY World blog.

No comments: