Thursday, May 27, 2004

A break in the routine

London -- After our customer meeting today, we arrived back at the hotel with a good portion of the afternoon to ourselves. In my experience, free time is not normal on a business trip, so I decided to take advantage of this gift after quickly checking my e-mail and voicemail. Since I didn't run this morning -- opting for a 16 Pound Sterling continental breakfast instead -- I went out to jog through Green Park, which is across from the Park Lane hotel where we are staying.

Although my running was a bit lethargic, the day was glorious. The sun had emerged from the morning's gray clouds, warming the body in contrast to the cool breezes. London surrounded me, and the park was alive with people also savoring the afternoon.

The UK's Classic FM station was playing through my headphones, and I heard a debut of Hedwig's Song, the first track from the new John Williams soundtrack to the latest Harry Potter movie, Prisoner of Azkaban. The CD won't be in the stores until next week. Listening, while running, heightened my sense of being in a special place in the world.

Let me always be grateful for these simple gifts of life.

No comments: