Friday, May 28, 2004

London morning

London -- You never know where life will lead you and what paths you will only travel once. As John McCain was quoted in a recent profile in the Washington Post, "This is all so transient. It could all end tomorrow. My philosophy is just to just go, go like hell. Like Teddy Roosevelt did it. Full bore.”

With something of that same spirit, although I suspect not the same intensity, I decided to get up and go running on this, my last morning in London, before flying back to the U.S. From my hotel, I set out for Hyde Park, adjacent to Green Park. The sun was barely up as I ran along one length of the park, facing Knightsbridge I believe. The London traffic was fairly sparse, yet starting to build to its morning intensity. I ran by the rose garden, with roses and other flowers in full bloom. It would have been nice to stop and savor the colors and smells, but I had a 7:30 cab to Heathrow to catch. I kept running. The park was pretty empty but for a few other souls out running and a couple of homeless, one whom I awakened as I ran by him.

I think the last time I ran in Hyde Park was sometime between 1992 and 1994, or perhaps it was even earlier, between 1987 and 1989. Who knows when I will be back, if ever. I'm sure glad I got up and ran.

No comments: